Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as ...


We want students to be technology savvy but we also want them to be responsible for them. We can't just hand students the technology and say do this. They have to know WHY and for what purpose they are getting to use the equipment. It's important for them to know that they are learning as well as "having fun." It will teach them to be responsible with their own learning and to take care of the technology.

During the year, we used a few different math websites. One that is listed is MangaHigh. I liked it because I could directly see how my students were scoring, what they were struggling with, and I could give them challenges based on the content we were covering at the moment. The children liked it because they were "playing" games and competing against their classmates. I had never gone to Learning Games for Kids but I like it. Although, some of it looked familiar so I think my kids explored it a couple of times during their rare "free" time (they were only allowed to play educational games!)

  


There were quite a few apps that we used throughout the year. One was SpellingCity. The kids had used the website before but when I discovered there was app for it, I got really excited! It's a great center for students to work on vocabulary and spelling. I also found iBooks to be very nice. You can download books for students to read right on the iPad. You can find many FREE ones which makes it even better! I got way more excited than the kids did when I discovered the Reading Rainbow app! I use to watch that show when I was little - of course, the kids had no idea what I was talking about. But they enjoyed the app. You can earn books by visiting the different islands. I must warn you, if you download the free version, not everything is available.




11 Tools for the 21st Century Learner: Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as ...: … Developing Instructionally Sound Ways to Use the Devices The tools of today’s classrooms are changing! Many students cannot imagin...

No comments:

Post a Comment